Saturday, September 15, 2012

Someday

The prison warden must be in a good mood today, because we got to read the newspaper. You know, just the other day G was telling me how newspapers were a good example of finding S-V-O sentences. S-V-O stands for Subject-Verb-Object, if you really care to know.

G sure loves the Warden after this stunt, he has been nose deep in these articles underlining, circling, even writing the S,V, and O under each word that associates with that letter. I have to admit, this made reading articles I never read before way more interesting.

As I would circle what I thought was the object of the headline, G would tap me on the shoulder and say, “That’s not an object, that is a prepositional phrase.” As I looked at him blankly he said, “You see, the headline says ‘Boy Found at Home.’ The subject is ‘boy,’ the verb is ‘found,’ and the prepositional phrase is ‘at home.’

G proceeded to explain that a prepositional phrase is a sentence that begins with a preposition and ends with a noun, gerund, or clause. As I still looked on at him like the new guy walking down the prison halls for the first time, he pulled out a piece of paper. The paper consisted of two sections of words, one labeled “Prepositions” and the other “Common Particles.”

G explained that words like about, from, and up are examples of a preposition. An example of a common particle would be break down: stop functioning. He also explained that a particle is a verb + preposition combinations that create verb phrasals, expressions with meanings that are different from the meaning of the verb itself. BETWEEN YOU AND ME, THIS IS THE MOST FUN I HAVE EVER HAD WITH G, AND I LIKE THAT. I AM FINALLY SEEING MYSELF IN G’S SHOES FOR ONCE, INSTEAD OF HIM IN MINE.

I couldn’t believe all the information G was able to pump into me this week. Not only did we learn about prepositional phrases and S-V-O sentences, he also taught me about transitive and intransitive verbs. This was by far the easiest part of all the learning I had to do the last week.

G made it really simple to understand, he said that if a verb was followed by a noun to receive the action of the verb, then it was a transitive verb. An example of this would be, “I broke my nose” because the verb (broke) was followed by a noun (nose), making broke a transitive verb. An example of an intransitive verb would be, “I cried” with the noun (I) being followed by the verb (cried). Why can’t it all be so simple?

Well, I have to say that this guy that I thought was so weird is really not that bad at all. He has really changed the way I look at everything he stands for. Maybe someday, when both of us are out of this god awful place, G and I can change the world. Someday.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G is turning out to be such a great friend. Really great examples for each lesson we learned this week, even helped clear some things up that were still a little bit confusing for me.

    You got both patterns this week! I was scared you forgot one since I only saw one sentence capitalized, but you did both!

    Both of your patterns this week look great. Keep up the good work!

    (I removed the last comment because I misspelled a word, didn't think it would freak out and say I removed it haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well structured blog if I do say so MYSELF...get it? I used the same reflexive pronoun as you used for your pattern of the week. Anyways, I really enjoyed reading your blog; it was a toss up of whose I'd respond to this week. I think the whole prison theme is really working for you and I hope you continue with it, as it draws the reader in. I definitely liked all the examples for S-V-Os that you used. It shows that you are getting the material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. impressive post, Kellen. And you nailed just about every concept we started playing with this past week. Bravo! Only one quibble: after a preposition, you can have a noun or a pronoun (and yes, a gerund--how did you know that?! Or did you actually use NITTY GRITTY? good for you!)

    ReplyDelete